Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Lent? Ash Wednesday? Huh? What is all this?

 Good morning all.  God is good all the time, all the time God is good.  WE ARE INDEED BLESSED TO BE A CHILD OF GOD!!!

   Lent?  Ash Wednesday?  Aw, those are just something drummed up by Christians to have an excuse to do something.  It really doesn't mean anything.   Have you heard this from some people?
     W E L L --- I will say Ash Wednesday and Lent season is something Christians should feel important.  Why, many will ask.  The reason is very simple; lent is a time we should set aside to celebrate the Lord's Resurrection at Easter.  During this time we, Christians, should seek the LORD by praying, reading scripture, giving of our time and resources, and practice self-control through fasting.
   All of this should be a real and authentic change of heart to draw nearer to Christ and be more faithful.  I don't know about you, but I do know about me and this needs to be a turning point for me.  Yes I believe; yes, I have accepted Jesus Christ as my savior; no, I am not as faithful as I can be; no, I don't study God's Holy Scripture as I should.
   So, what is going to be the difference?   I am going to ___________ for lent (that is between me and God); my countenance should change and I will be more faithful spiritually through the work and help of the Holy Spriit.
   It is important that I remember I AM NOTHING WITHOUT GOD!!  It is because of God who I am.   Psalm 139: 16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. 
To simplify as from the New Living: You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.  
   You and I were known by God even before all.  The least we can do is be obedient to HIM.  My goal for 2023 and the remainder of my life is to be obedient to the One who knows me best - GOD.  To give back the portion of what he has given me and give of my first fruits, not the middle or last or when I think about giving.  Look at Psalm 24: 1The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it.
  All we have has been given to us by the LORD and we must give back the first fruits of our labor.  If you look at Cain and Abel in Genesis Chapter 4 you will see Cain brought of the fruit of the ground whereas Abel "brought of the firstlings of his flock" and the LORD respected Abel's offering yet not Cain.  Why?
   Cain gave, but not of the firstfruits.  This is not what God wants.  God wants our first fruits- whether it be time, money, work, or whatever may come your way; give God the first fruits.  That is why Abel's offering was acceptable- firstlings (firstfruits).
  Let today begin your giving of first fruits with Ash Wednesday.  Go somewhere where you feel the LORD's spirit, whether it be church, backyard, with friends or neighbors, but go be with the LORD and begin your season of Lent.
   Thanks for reading.  Love you all.
In Christ's Love and Grace
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment