Friday, September 15, 2017

Acquaintances- passing friend - social friend? Hmmm!

Good morning all. God is good all the time, all the time God is good.  TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED!  Jesu Jevu!
    What  is the difference between the three - acquaintance - passing friend - and social friend?
   According to webster an acquaintance is a person whom one knows slightly.  However, in the Bible it seems that acquaintance has a different meaning. Psalm 88: Thou hast put away mine acquaintance far from me; thou hast made me an abomination unto them:
   Jeremiah 20: 10 For I heard the defaming of many, fear on every side. Report, say they, and we will report it. All my acquaintances watched for my halting,
   Luke 23: 49 And all his acquaintance, and the women that followed him from Galilee, stood afar off, beholding these things.
   Here you have King David, Jeremiah all speaking out; and then Luke telling about Jesus.
   So, after reading these verses, let me ask you - is there a difference between the three?  Really?
   Obviously, to me, an acquaintance is someone I have met causally but not regularly, yet aware of them.
     A passing friend is one whom I would share a glass or tea or cup of coffee while engaged in idol rhetoric.
     A social fiend is one whom I know and do things with, i.e. dinner, lunch, go to each others homes, and basically know more intimately.
   The reason I ask this is to stimulate the fact that we may not take the time to have a better relationship with others.  A passing friend, or to some may call an acquaintance of mine who lived in our subdivision recently passed away.  We would visit relatively often and shared a common interest - golf.
   For years we have talked about playing together but had yet to do so when he passed.  We did make plans to play when he returned from his trip.
   So often, is it not easier to engage in idle  rhetoric than actually take action?  How often do you say, ‘hey, we need to get together some time’, or ‘yes, let’s do that –call me’  and even  the big LIE ‘ I will pray for you’ and not really be totally sincere.  Maybe sincere in thought and intentions, but you know what they say about intentions – they pave the road to …………..
   I would encourage you to take time to actually engage in doing something with an “acquaintance” and experience the joy of a new friendship or possibly renew a friendship.  Maybe it is family or long time friends you need to step forward in doing something with them – then DO IT! 
   I do hope you find my wanderings understandable.  Don't just talk about doing something with an "acquaintance" or "passing friend" - make an effort. Love you all.
In Christ's Love and Grace
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment