Thursday, September 21, 2017

Sold out to God? Really? Mark 10:17-23

Good morning all. God is good all the time, all the time God is good.  I trust your day is going well and God is #1 in your life.
   Are you sold out for Christ?  What exactly does that mean?  Sold out means different things to different people.  In Mark 10:17-23 the rich young ruler rushed up to Jesus, expressed he has kept the commandments, and wanted to know what he had to do to have eternal life.  When Jesus said sell all you have, give to the poor, take up your cross and follow me the young rich man was sad and went away.  His possessions meant more that the goodness of Christ.
    I do not believe Jesus wants you to sell all you have, become homeless and start preaching on the street corner to others.  But I do believe HE wants us to be sold out more than a concert.  Many concerts of big name performers are sold out, you have a ticket, you go and listen for a few hours then it is over.
   Oh, you may talk about it a lot the first week or two, but then it fades and you are off to something else.  Again, I don't believe Jesus wants us to be concert sold out- where we go to church, listen to Sunday school, then the preacher, and the next week just mention what the teacher or pastor said and it is done.
   To me being sold out means God is # 1 in all I do. It means that I pray about the events in my life.  Now, here, I am speaking in terms of more major decisions.  I don't pray about if I need to go to the bathroom, or which groceries to buy, or if I should sleep or be awake.  I am talking about major decisions such as donations to various charities or churches; helping others in a Christian spirit; major purchases, sharing the word of God, etc.
   Am I sold out?  I would like to say yes, totally, but then that would be a lie, a big lie!  I am sold out in many ways, yet there are other ways I am not.  My obligation and in obedience is to be continually in prayer.
   At this point in my life I don't believe God has told me to sell everything, move to a foreign country and minister.  I do believe my ministry is here, in the Tyler area, and I need to be the Bible (walking Bible) that many see.
   I know selling out to God grants me eternal life, a life of which I cannot imagine.  I want to sell out, and I would say I am 50-60 percent there.  I, we, don’t understand God’s goodness and His genuine love for us, making selling out difficult.
  Grace Fox says it this way: " I DO believe we need to leave our money and material possessions, our time, and our talents in an open hand–willing to let Him do with these things whatever He wishes."  My prayer is that I do this.
     To be sold out, we must tear down anything we put ahead of God.  It may be your problems, finances, your house, job or car; even your loved ones can hold a greater place in your life than God.  It is not that we don't pay attention to these things, but DON'T SERVE THEM!
   I invite your comments and insights on this topic.  May you have a wonderful and blessed day. Love you all.
In Christ's Love and Grace
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment