Monday, September 19, 2016

2 Timothy 4:16 Stand tall, forgive, and carry the WORD forth!

Good morning all. God is good all the time, all the time God is good.  TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED!  Jesu Jevu!
   16 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: 16 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.
  Okay, let us recap briefly.  Remember when we left on Friday the conversation was about Alexander the copper-smith who openly opposed Paul. Reason: copper-smith made idols and jewelry for the goddess Diana of Ephesus.  Well, now we move on to verse 16 where Paul is telling us no man stood with him.  What does this mean?
  Paul is drawing out some facts here - which is worse - one who openly opposes Christianity such as Alexander?  OR, people of "the Way" (Christians) who do not stand with Paul when opposed by authorities, when the going gets tough?  Paul was on "the firing line" of Nero (and his judges) and anyone who stood with Paul was in danger of dire consequences as well.
   Paul realizes this and knows they basically "jumped ship" when big waves came rolling in. But look at the last part of this verse: 16........... I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.    Paul is asking God to forgive them for their actions. Wow!  Would you have done this? Or, said God give them what they deserve?  This is big on Paul's behalf, and it is called forgiveness!  He understands that his friends in the LORD may have been intimidated by the authorities and wants them forgiven, and, probably, he is trusting they will go on carrying the word to the gentiles.
   

17 Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.
      Let's make this very simple. His friends deserted him, yet the LORD stood with him, did not desert him, and strengthened him.  Paul knows this.
    Next, Paul is just simply saying that the Word, through his commitment (to Jesus), may be know by all-even the gentiles will hear.  The hope or belief is that the gentiles, through his work and words, would come to the saving knowledge of the truth as it is in Jesus.
  and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.  Now, here, was Paul speaking of Nero and his judges or of real lions in the amphitheater?  OR, does it really matter.  In my mind, Paul is saying he was delivered - meaning going to a better place.  Where would that possibly be? In my mind meaning if he is executed he is heaven bound.  However, the biggest reason for Paul writing is most likely to encourage Timothy and the church to continue on, even when obstacles occur.  Maintain the faith, continue on, and trust in the Living GOD!  This is Paul's farewell and Timothy will now need to carry the Master's Word forth.
    This is what we are called to do - to CARRY THE MASTER'S (JESUS') WORD FORTH!  Are you up to the task at hand?  I pray so.  Please pray for friends, family, nations and nations leaders.  The world is in a downward spiral and through pray we can stop the spin, if it be God's will. Pray my friend, PRAY!  Love you all.
Deo Soli Gloria
Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment